Rain canopy for camper
Great aeration even during rain
Online since: 27/05/2010, Number of visits: 453201
Table of Contents
I built a very practical rain canopy for the side window of my VW camper (from the application Flyscreen for the camper) with your magnets. Since the side walls of the camper are slightly tilted inwards, raindrops tend to come in through the opened sliding window, which can be prevented by a small canopy over the window. It can be attached and removed in seconds with 4 magnets, which guarantees great aeration during rain, for instance during cooking.
- 1 large sheet of paper (to draw the pattern)
- 4 block magnets Q-15-15-08-N
- Waterproof fabric of sufficient size (e.g. from an old tent)
- 3 carbon fibre or aluminium rods (e.g. rods from a kite)
- Belt strap (here yellow-green) to attach the magnets
- Hose strap (here black-white striped) to cover the magnets (e.g. in larger mountaineering stores)
Assembly of the rain canopy1. Prepare the pattern for the three fabric parts. The roof part is the easiest (rectangular), so you don't necessarily need a prepared template. Since vehicle walls are often curved, the two side pieces should be cut out of paper first and then adjusted to the camper wall.
4. Sew a long piece of belt strap onto the long side of the canopy.
5. Sew two short pieces of belt strap onto the tips of the side pieces.
6. Sew the three fabric pieces together. To make sure everything fits, stitch them roughly together first and test it on the vehicles before you sew everything together.
5. To be able to take the block magnets off the camper without scratches, slide each magnet into a approx. 10 cm long piece of hose strap and sew around it. With the other end you can easily pull off the magnet.
Alternative to block magnetsNote from the supermagnete team:
- Instead of using a fabric protection in form of a hose strap, you can also use rubberised neodymium magnets that protect delicate surfaces from scratches. Your advantage: They can simply be placed on the fabric and removed afterward. They won't start to rust even after longer outdoor use.
- Alternatively, you can directly sew our sew-on magnets to the canopy. Thanks to their plastic coating they are also waterproof.
Suitable articles are linked below.
1 pc. 4,17 EUR ea.*Disc magnet rubber coated Ø 16,8 mm, height 9,4 mm, holds approx. 3,7 kg
1 pc. 5,46 EUR ea.*Disc magnet rubber coated Ø 22 mm, height 11,4 mm, holds approx. 7,1 kg
10 pcs. 1,05 EUR ea.*Sew-in magnets 18 x 2 mm angular
10 pcs. 1,11 EUR ea.*Sew-in magnets 18 x 2 mm round
The hose straps can easily be attached on the right and left on the belt strap of the canopy. Then you can fold the canopy forward and the two short poles stabilise it. Finally, the canopy needs to be anchored on the bottom part of the belt strap with a magnet each. The whole thing takes less than 10 seconds.